Wednesday 24 February 2010

Ever had a bad day in Vegas?

We seem to sleep so well since we have been over here, I start to wonder if we have sleeping sickness from Oz. Even though we were in bed by about 10.30pm we didn’t wake up until 9.15am; I did watch “Forrest Gump” but Claire was asleep straight away. We ventured out and were undecided if to go to the Mirage first or the Venetian but we crossed the road to the Venetian because they have all the best shows and at the moment that we wanted to see. We walked into the door where they had touts that seduced us into going on a tour of the hotel so that we could get our tickets cheaper. Instead of $145 a ticket we could see two shows for $100 but we had to spend two to three hours in a presentation. We went for it and it wasted our whole day, so don’t waste your time making the same mistake as us. It was a time share and with very sophisticated hard sales techniques that got stronger as time went on. After we had wasted several hours the prices were announced at $41000 for two weeks ownership with almost $1000 a year fees that would increase with time. The $41000 buy in fee went down with each manager to $5000 but they never changed the maintenance or changing fee. If they had come down to a free buy in fee, I still wouldn’t buy in because the maintenance was the catcher, so beware!

Again we haven’t really eaten anything sensible, only the sandwiches that they gave us on the tour. But we have however had a few drinks and talked to other trippers. Claire did start a blog earlier but our connection suddenly disappeared and she lost the lot. That's why I am doing this at the end of the day just to keep it going. I booked one extra night today in this hotel before we move on so that we can see the shows that we earned today by suffering the talk. It seems that this place will continue expanding and going up in price, that’s why we have a “Trump” building next door. Anyway it’s not for us because we don’t really like Cities and I don’t think that Claire will ever come back here by choice.

This place is a den of iniquity and I’m not really sure I like it either. It seems very seducing into making you spend loads of money that you haven’t got. I really hope that we start to like it better before we leave, otherwise I don’t think that we will ever get back here again. This place seems to have plenty to offer, but far more to take, so be sensible and act like you would everywhere else. But hey, I guess that lots of people have had worse days in Vegas than we have! The last photo tells it all and I guess that Claire will eventually tell her story.

4 comments:

  1. Oh Dear,
    Claire just looks like she is ready to hit that guy.
    I think Vegas is great in short bursts. Everything is just so 'over the top'
    I also think the hard sell is soo American.
    Just too many yanks in the US really.
    (can I say that)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a shame you dont like Vegas, i had a great time there without spending too much money.

    I would get back to LA and spend the day at Universal Studios, that will lift your spirits x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phil, I can't believe you got sucked in by those guys to save you 90 bucks. Why didn't you just get up and go?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right Geoff, I'd been with this guy for 5 hours and it was close to getting real ugly.

    Vegas is okay Emma but I think we're feeling a bit overwhelmed, it's just so OTT.

    Jim, Phil had already parted with his non refundable 106 bucks so there was no way he was going to let me skip out. Never again!

    ReplyDelete