Sunday 28 February 2010

The Grand Canyon

We must be the only ones in history that bought a Canyon $25 pass to gain entry to do the laundry but there is nothing on the outside and we are both out of clothes. We hadn’t realised that Arizona is an hour ahead of Vegas either so we lost another hour. With all the promises of storms Friday evening and Saturday we were very fortunate to have nice blue skies while travelling along the Canyon taking photos. Almost the second we finished and got in the car to drive back it came overcast and dark. I have worked out that last time I came here 30 years ago; we went along the North rim because we had come from Bryes Canyon; I guess that is why I don’t remember the Hoover Dam.

They have found stone arrow heads dating back 12,000 years ago but it was discovered by white man, well the Spanish, in 1540 and I have included a picture of the information board in case anyone wants to read it. I tend to photograph these as I go along so I can read them later, also it gives good markers to where the following photos were taken until the next board. As I have said before, places like the Canyon are so huge that photos just can’t do any justice to what it looks like when you are here. Last time, in the 30 minute helicopter ride, I shot 5 or 6 films of 36 exposures because I couldn’t believe my eyes and I don’t think any came out as good as they did this time. I am looking forward to having another look at them when I get home as I have never got them out again in 30 years; if I can find them.

We went out to dinner last night as we were starving travelling all day and not even having breakfast. We found a hotel that had food called the Canyon Star where we both had the steak which was very nice but we couldn’t eat them all; we should have ordered one with two plates. Trouble is we are not used to eating a big meal late a t night, I guess if we had them for lunch we would have been ok. Our waitress could hardly speak English which made things a little worrying as we didn’t expect to get what we had ordered. Also she seemed to drop everything but the price; first Claire’s sour cream for her baked potato, then my knife, then my credit card and finally the pen. I didn’t think that she was entirely cut out for witnessing. Having said that the food was very good and about the first time that our vegetables were not been under or over cooked in our entire journey. Today we were back to tourist food and had to settle for the Mexican because most of the others close at 2pm and we weren’t back until closer to 3.30pm. As dinner started at 5pm at the earliest we thought we would give it a try. Claire only ate about two mouth-full’s but I managed about ¾ of mine being heavy on the pepper sauce. They did bring complementary Nacho’s with a large bowl of salsa which was nice but Claire doesn’t like those either. We should have tried our restaurant which was the other one that was open (also McDonalds) and had more varied food but Claire didn’t fancy the menu. Never mind at least the beer was good and she is loosing weight, especially with all the walking we did in Vegas. I can’t say the same for me as my palate is much more varied; I made a conscious effort when younger to try and like as much as possible so that I would be a little happier on average. If you like everything then you will always enjoy whatever you have. Trouble is there are side effects!

Anyway the pictures speak for themselves and I won’t waffle on much more. The picture of the raven about half way through came out well; it looks almost magical. He flew down right in front of me when I was just about to take a photo; I guess he thought that I looked like the kind of guy that would have some food. Which reminds me of when we had lunch with Ian and Jane in the Dandendongs, or whatever they are called, and only Jane ordered desert. The waitress that brought the huge chocolate fudge cake over to our table looked at us all, smiled and handed it straight to me.


2 comments:

  1. love the canyon in the snow, i remember seeing loads of chipmunks when i was there. I then caught a small plane, flew through the canyon, over the Hoover Dam and on to San Francisco..... oh great memories x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a much more organised trip that us Emma! We've just touched the surface I feel (once again) but we just might do a cheapier helicop trip tomorrow over Lake Mead. Hope our blog is bring you grt memories and you telling T&K all about what Emma did before she was a mummy? x

    ReplyDelete