Sunday 14 February 2010

Port Macquarie to Crescent Head

The internet connection across the balconies worked, but only just; I did manage to speak to Georgina this morning to wish her a Happy Birthday, but it did keep cutting out. While I was talking, Jimmy tried to call me but didn’t try again until we had finished. The Robb family had a great time in the Dominican Republic but it was raining buckets when they first got there. Everyone that they spoke to said that it had been like that for the previous two weeks so they though it might ruin their holiday but they were lucky, the next day was glorious sunshine which remained for the rest of their stay. Congratulations to Lloyd Blakey and his wife who just gave birth to a little boy, I think called Oliver but the connection was as bad as my memory. Lloyd is the youngest son of Peter who is Jimmy’s partner (in business) who I used to work with as well. In fact the pair of them used to be my bosses at different times. Probably the best ones that I have ever had to be honest, that’s why we have stayed friends for so many years. Jim said that he couldn’t believe that it has been 7 years since Lloyd had their first and it only seems like yesterday. Well I can remember the day when Shirley brought Dan and their new born Tom to work, when Jim stood Dan on the desk and he pointed to Tom and looked at me and said, “Tom!” Where does the time go? I guess that Jim and Shirl’ will be the next Grandparents, hey Guys?

Although I managed to talk on Skype it was almost impossible to upload the blog; probably the worst connection I can remember, but my memory is not that good, especially when it comes to bad things. Anyway I gave up and put the details on the data stick and we headed off, ending up at Port Macquarie which is a very pretty place but we did manage to get the blog on. It wasn’t a place that we felt that we would like to stay in as it’s a bit too big and some of the Motels we tried were very pricey. We therefore headed back to the Pacific Highway, which is the main road between Sydney and Brisbane, turning off at Kempsey, the home of the Akubra (those hats with the corks around the rim), to Crescent Head which is a little discovered surfing spot. Having said that it looks like it’s quite up and coming and the house prices seem very high. The Motel that Claire fancied was closed for lunch and a sign said back at 3pm when check in starts. It was only 12.15pm and I said to Claire that we would hang around for about three hours to be told that they were sold out. Anyway we headed of towards the beach, found a pub and quenched our thirst. I changed into my trunks in the toilet, a bit like Superman does, and we headed off to the beach which was lovely. There is an old wooden bridge across the river to get to the beach in the first place and then its sand all the way, as far as you can see. I even had my first sunbathe since we got here and the sea shells doubled as eye shades because Claire has stolen my sunglasses. It was also a delight to go into the sea without a stinger suit as they don’t get down this far; however, they may be crocodiles, sharks, sea snakes and other nasties where a stinger suit is little protection. Claire said that when I went in the tide seemed to come in a little.

We had a quick drive around and drove past a small golf course where the views were good and carried onto the lookout point where they were even better. The lookout point looks like an old water tower but it looks like some locals have got into the graffiti thing. We headed back down to our Motel so as to be the first there at 3pm exactly to be told that she had just let the last room. How did I know? How did I also know when the ATM machine would only let me have $200 that I would be charged before it came on the screen? Because if you only withdraw small amounts you stand more chance of paying the $2 charge more often. Anyway, we walked across the road to Claire’s second choice, “Wombat Beach Resort” but the reception door was also locked. As we were looking around for a notice, the door opened very slightly and a lady stuck her head out. “Sorry”, she said, “One of my birds has escaped out of its cage”. We had to creep in quickly so it wouldn’t escape. She is a nice lady but they don’t have broadband only dial up connections and also no air condition but it was already late in the day to start driving to another town so we are staying here the night. They do have a pool and spa and a communal laundry so Claire was straight off to check that out. With this heat and humidity, you seem to use up clothes so fast and as we didn’t bring many clothes, Claire has to wash every other day. She loves it really, at least she doesn’t have lots to do at once and it gives her something to do while I download the photos and write this blog for you guys.

One last thing, when I saw the funny comments from the Portuguese or Spanish guy called Gerry the other day; I thought that it was one of those loonies that you get putting comments on blogs now and then so I was a little rude. I hadn’t much chance or will to read it properly. Mainly as I can’t read Spanish and don’t have much internet time, but Jim told me that it was Gerry McCain, Madelyn McCain’s father. So sorry Gerry, and good luck with your quest, it might be worth copying the text and translating it online if someone gets the time. I also understand why his photo is not very smiley, so very sorry again. We now have our first celebrity as a follower; how cool is that, good job I didn’t let Claire delete it like she wanted to.

No comments:

Post a Comment